GOING LIVE APRIL 12 2019
I kept you all waiting far too long for this.
Introducing the long awaited CandyBar by TKC. CandyBar is a compact 40%+ keyboard offered in both right and left hand (southpaw) variants. Whether working on a fun size or king size budget, we have offerings to fit both!
We released a post about the CandyBar last year with ambitious plans to bring it to the market very quickly. We hit some bumps in the road, tweaked many things, and are ready to deliver a polished product.
- Matte Black PCB with Gold Silkscreen
- USB-C connection
- ARM STM32F072 Crystal-less MCU
- QMK Firmware
- Kailh Hotswap sockets - NO SOLDERING REQUIRED
- Right and Left hand versions available
- Split Space, arrows, and many other layout options
- Addressable RGB strip support
- Will be offered stand alone as well as part of the kits
- Layouts can be filled with almost any 40% kit on the market. No unusual key sizes / row profiles
- 6 degree angle case
- 6061 anodized aluminum case and plate
- Obsidian Black
- Mint Chip (2412C)
- HubbaBubba (2039C)
- Laffy Taffy Purple (Violet C)
- 6061 Aluminum Plate
- See colors above
- One case, two numpad options
- Premium case works with both left and right hand plates / PCBs
- Simply change the location of the included standoffs
- PCB support pegs to ensure the PCB doesn't come detached from the plate
- Premium Bump-Ons included
- Matte Black FR4 (pcb material) switch plate and bottom plate.
- Gold plated logo.
- Black anodized aluminum standoffs.
- Black M2 screws.
- Right and Left numpad options available.
- PCB support standoffs to assist with inserting switches during assembly.
- Bottom bumpons.
Cross option support:
- Plates are compatible with both premium and standard, so you can upgrade your standard with an anodized plate if you wish, or if you get a new case in the future you can still use the FR4 plate without issue. Left and right PCBs are both compatible with the premium case.
- CandyBar Chocolate Crunch
- CandyBar Classic
- CandyBar HubbaBubba
- CandyBar Laffy Taffy
- 4 color ways will be available
- Full support for all CandyBar layout options as well as most all 40% boards on the market. Planck, too.
- PBT Dye Sub
- Cherry Profile
- Price TBD
- Same manufacturer that brought you Katakana Cherry PBT
- Accessories to build your board will be available during the sale
- Kailh Switches (maybe some others, too)
- GMK Screw-In Stabilizers
- Cables by Zap (I havent asked him yet so, John, if you're reading this, hope you hired interns)
- What is the mounting method? Plate tray mount, meaning the plate is fixed in place rather than a typical tray mount that hold the PCB in place.
- Can I get the Standard in a different color? No, Matte black is the only option.
- Can I buy extra plates and PCBs? Yes.
- Can I mix and match premium case and plate colors? Yes, if you feel like doing a lipstick pink case with a Mint chip plate or black on black? Go for it!
- If I buy a right numpad board can I still make it a southpaw? Yes and no. Each PCB is setup for a single numpad option, but the case options both support right and left. So you could technically order a right and left numpad PCB and one premium case and have two board layouts and just swap them in and out when you feel like it.
- When does the buy go live? April 2019
- Can I purchase a keyset only? Absolutely